• Home
  • About The Herald
  • Local Agencies
  • Daily Email Update
  • Legal Notices
  • Classified Ads

Contra Costa Herald

News Of By and For The People of Contra Costa County, California

  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Business
  • Community
  • Crime
  • Dining
  • Education
  • Faith
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics & Elections
  • Real Estate

CHP, allied agencies combine efforts for New Year’s weekend Maximum Enforcement Period

December 29, 2021 By Publisher Leave a Comment

Starting at 6:01 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 31, 2021, through 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 2

By Jaime Coffee, Information Officer II, California Highway Patrol

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The ushering in of a new year brings with it the anticipation of a fresh start, positive changes, and healthy resolutions.  What it should not bring are headlines of tragedies caused by drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

To encourage safe travel for those who are out on the road, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) will conduct a Maximum Enforcement Period (MEP) starting at 6:01 p.m. on Friday, December 31, 2021, through 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, January 2, 2022.

“Ringing in the new year should be an exciting time filled with celebration and hope,” CHP Commissioner Amanda Ray said.  “To help keep the roadways safe through the holiday and beyond, our officers will be out in force to deter, detect, and remove impaired drivers.” 

During the previous New Year’s Day MEP, 56 people were killed in crashes in California.  Sadly, half of the vehicle occupants killed in the crashes were not wearing a seat belt.  During that same 78-hour MEP, CHP officers made 709 arrests for driving under the influence throughout the state.

To help bolster this year’s holiday traffic safety effort across state lines, the CHP will again partner with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration and the Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota state patrols in a Western States Traffic Safety Coalition for the “Drive High, Get a DUI,” campaign.  With the focus of the New Year’s operation to identify and remove impaired drivers from the road, the CHP will have all available personnel on patrol, including Drug Recognition Evaluators to conduct evaluations of suspected impaired drivers.

With 362 arrests for DUI during the 54-hour Christmas Day Maximum Enforcement Period, California Highway Patrol officers averaged a DUI arrest nearly every nine minutes.

For daily MEP updates and other valuable traffic safety-related information, follow @CHP_HQ on Twitter.

The mission of the CHP is to provide the highest level of Safety, Service, and Security.

Filed Under: CHP, Holiday, News

Providing safety on the roads is CHP’s gift to motorists this Christmas

December 22, 2021 By Publisher Leave a Comment

Maximum Enforcement Period from 6:01 p.m. Friday, Dec. 24 until 11:59 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 26

By Jaime Coffee, Information Officer II, CHP

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The Christmas season is upon us and the California Highway Patrol (CHP) is reminding everyone to put safety first and follow the rules of the road while traveling California’s roadways.

According to data from the CHP’s Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System, at least 38 people were killed in crashes in California throughout the Christmas holiday enforcement period last year.  During that 78-hour Maximum Enforcement Period, CHP officers made 573 arrests for driving under the influence.

“The CHP will be out on California’s roadways while the public travels to join friends and family this weekend,” said CHP Commissioner Amanda Ray.  “Our goal is the same as yours, to make certain you arrive safely at your destination.  From our family to yours, we wish you all a safe and happy holiday.”

The CHP will begin its Maximum Enforcement Period at 6:01 p.m. on Friday, December 24, and continue it through 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, December 26.  During that time, all available officers will be on the road for enhanced enforcement and to assist any motorists or pedestrians in need of help.

Wherever your holiday travels take you, remember to plan ahead, buckle up, avoid distractions, and never drive while impaired.

The mission of the CHP is to provide the highest level of Safety, Service, and Security.

Filed Under: CHP, News

CHP focuses on eliminating teen distracted driving

November 9, 2021 By Publisher Leave a Comment

Source: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

By Jaime Coffee, Information Officer II, California Highway Patrol

Source: NHTSA

Using cell phones, eating or drinking, adjusting a radio, or simply talking with friends are all activities teens engage in every day, but these activities become life-threatening hazards while driving.   Unfortunately, many of these distractions will lead to crashes resulting in an injury or death. 

To address these concerns, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) is partnering with traffic safety organizations promoting safe driving behaviors for teens.  The grant-funded Teen Distracted Drivers campaign consists of an education component that will allow for CHP officers and traffic safety partners to make appearances at schools and community events throughout the state. Distracted driving enforcement operations for this grant began October 1, 2021, and will continue through September 30, 2022.

According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, there are nearly 750,000 licensed teenage drivers in California.  Data from the CHP’s Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System indicated that in 2019 there were nearly 44,000 crashes involving teen drivers between 15 to 19 years of age, including 231 fatal crashes.  Although preliminary figures for 2020 indicated a drop in total crashes involving teen drivers in California, the number of teen driver-involved fatal crashes increased to 258.

“The combination of inattention and inexperience behind the wheel can lead to tragedy,” said CHP Commissioner Amanda Ray.  “This grant will assist our officers in keeping California’s roads safe, while addressing California’s distracted driving crisis among the state’s teens.”

Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The mission of the CHP is to provide the highest level of Safety, Service, and Security.

 

Filed Under: CHP, News, Youth

Solo vehicle fatal collision on Hwy 4 between Martinez and Hercules Monday morning

November 1, 2021 By Publisher Leave a Comment

By CHP Contra Costa

This morning, Monday, November 1, 2021, at about 10:45 AM, Contra Costa CHP was advised of a solo vehicle collision on westbound Highway 4, east of McEwen Road between Martinez and Hercules. The vehicle (a white Ford Ranger) was traveling westbound and left the roadway, rolling down an embankment. The driver and only occupant of the vehicle was not seat belted and was ejected from the vehicle.

The driver was transported to Contra Costa Regional Medical Center where he ultimately succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced deceased.

This collision is still under investigation, if anyone witnessed it or the events leading up to it, please contact Contra Costa CHP in Martinez, (925) 646-4980.

Filed Under: CHP, News, West County

Pittsburg man dies in three-vehicle collision in Brentwood Tuesday

October 28, 2021 By Publisher 1 Comment

Forced into oncoming traffic on Brentwood Boulevard near Sellers Avenue

By CHP Contra Costa

On October 26, 2021 at around 3:35 pm, Contra Costa CHP was advised of a three vehicle collision on Brentwood Boulevard, east of Sellers Avenue. The events occurred as follows, a Honda Civic with one occupant was stopped and waiting to make a left turn. A Dodge Ram with one occupant was approaching the Civic from the rear and collided with the rear of the Civic. This initial collision caused the Civic to be pushed into the opposite lanes of traffic and an approaching Ford Expedition with one occupant collided with the right side of the Civic.

The driver of the Honda was pronounced deceased at the scene and was identified by the Contra Costa Coroner’s Office as 39-year-old Jesus Ismael Virgen-Medina of Pittsburg.

The occupants of the Ford and Dodge suffered minor injuries.

This collision is still under investigation. If anyone witnessed it or the events leading up to it, please contact Contra Costa CHP in Martinez, (925) 646-4980.

 

Filed Under: CHP, East County, News

CHP gets ‘green light’ for $5.5 million statewide DUI campaign

October 28, 2021 By Publisher Leave a Comment

Federal grant funding Impaired Driving Reduction efforts

By Jaime Coffee, Information Officer II, California Highway Patrol

SACRAMENTO, Calif. –  The California Highway Patrol (CHP) and the California Office of Traffic Safety are partnering on a campaign aimed at reducing the number of crashes caused by impaired drivers.  The $5.5 million grant will fund the Impaired Driving Reduction (IDR) education and enforcement campaign, which began October 1, 2021 and continues through September 30, 2022.

In 2019, impaired driving crashes were responsible for 568 deaths and 11,444 injuries within the CHP’s jurisdiction throughout the state.  Each one of these injuries and deaths represents a preventable tragedy and a continued need to focus efforts on reducing impaired driving in California.

“This grant will help support the Department’s mission by strengthening education and enforcement efforts throughout the state,” CHP Commissioner Amanda Ray said.  “As a public safety organization, we will continue to do everything in our power to promote safety for all on California’s roadways.”

In 2020, more than 90,000 violations for driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol and/or drugs were cited by CHP officers through California. The IDR grant provides the CHP with funding to conduct additional saturation patrols, checkpoints, and traffic safety education efforts throughout California.  These efforts are designed to remove impaired drivers from the roadway and educate the public regarding the dangers of DUI.  Additionally, the CHP will actively participate in California’s Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over public awareness campaign.

The CHP wants to remind the public, “DUI Doesn’t Just Mean Booze.”  Alcohol, cannabis, certain prescription and over-the-counter medications, illegal drugs, or any combination can affect your ability to drive and will result in an arrest if you are under the influence.  Always make good decisions and plan ahead by designating a sober driver, take public transportation, or call a taxi or ride-share.  There is always a better option than getting behind the wheel while impaired.

The public is encouraged to call 9-1-1 if they observe a suspected impaired driver.  Be prepared to provide the dispatcher a location, direction of travel, and vehicle description.

Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The mission of the CHP is to provide the highest level of Safety, Service, and Security.

 

Filed Under: CHP, News

Three-vehicle fatal collision on I-80 near Pinole Valley Road Wednesday morning

October 15, 2021 By Publisher Leave a Comment

Fourth fatal vehicle accident in Contra Costa, second on I-80, this month

By CHP Contra Costa

Yesterday morning, Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2021, at 5:27am, Contra Costa CHP was advised of a three-vehicle collision on westbound I-80, west of Pinole Valley Road. The events occurred as follows, a Yamaha R6 with a single rider was involved in a collision with a GMC Terrain. This initial collision caused the rider of the Yamaha to be ejected from the motorcycle where he was struck by a Ford Excursion with one occupant.

The rider of the Yamaha was transported from the scene by emergency services, but ultimately succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced deceased later that morning. Both the driver of the Ford and the GMC did not claim injuries.

It’s the fourth fatal vehicle accident in the county, and the second three-vehicle fatality on I-80, this month. (See related article)

This collision is still under investigation. If anyone witnessed it or the events leading up to it, please contact Contra Costa CHP in Martinez, (925) 646-4980.

Filed Under: CHP, News, West County

CHP secures grant to increase motorcycle safety awareness

October 9, 2021 By Publisher Leave a Comment

By Jaime Coffee, Information Officer II, California Highway Patrol

SACRAMENTO, Calif. –To help save lives and reduce the risk associated with riding a motorcycle, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) will implement a new, federally funded grant campaign promoting motorcycle safety in California from October 1, 2021, through September 30, 2022.

The goal of the Get Educated and Ride Safe (GEARS) IV grant is to decrease the number of motorcycle-involved crashes and victims through education and enforcement campaigns.  In federal fiscal year (FFY) 2018-19, there was an approximate 10 percent decrease in motorcycle-involved crashes in California, followed by a 20 percent drop the following year based on provisional data.  Even with the decline, there were 6,849 motorcycle-involved crashes resulting in 306 deaths and 6,118 injuries within CHP jurisdiction in FFY 2019-20.

“While the decrease in the number of crashes is encouraging, there is still work to be done,” said CHP Commissioner Amanda Ray.  “The GEARS IV grant will support the Department’s efforts to increase motorcycle safety through education and enforcement.”

During this grant period, the CHP will participate in traffic safety education campaigns, such as “May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month.”  These campaigns will promote the use of U.S. Department of Transportation-compliant helmets for all riders and raise motorists’ awareness of sharing the road with motorcyclists.  The CHP will also increase enforcement efforts in areas with a high number of motorcycle-involved crashes, which were a result of speed, improper turning, and driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.

Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The mission of the CHP is to provide the highest level of Safety, Service, and Security.

 

Filed Under: CHP, News

Four die in three fatal collisions in Contra Costa last weekend

October 8, 2021 By Publisher 9 Comments

Near Martinez, near El Sobrante, and near Hercules; Coroner releases identities of three from Brentwood, Martinez and San Pablo

By CHP – Contra Costa

Two die in solo vehicle fatality collision on SR-4 near Martinez

Saturday morning Oct. 2, 2021 at about 6:35am, Contra Costa CHP was advised of a solo vehicle collision on eastbound Hwy 4, east of McEwen Road. The vehicle (a blue GMC SUV) was traveling eastbound and left the roadway, went down an embankment and collided with a tree. The driver of the vehicle was seatbelted and suffered minor injuries. The two passengers of the vehicle were unrestrained and pronounced deceased at the scene. This collision is still under investigation, if anyone witnessed it or the events leading up to it, please contact Contra Costa CHP in Martinez, (925) 646-4980. The county Coroner’s Office released the identities of the deceased, 40-year-old Raymond L. Pattillo from Brentwood, and Holly J. Webster, aged 28 from Martinez.

Two vehicle fatal collision on San Pablo Dam Road near El Sobrante.

Also Saturday morning, Oct. 2, 2021 at around 11:15am, Contra Costa CHP was advised of a two vehicle collision on San Pablo Dam Road, north of Bear Creek Road. A red Toyota Tacoma, with one occupant, was traveling northbound and a white Honda Civic, with three occupants, was traveling southbound.

It appears the driver of the Honda was driving on the shoulder to pass traffic, lost control of the vehicle, crossed into the northbound lane and collided with the Toyota. The driver of the Honda suffered major injuries, the right front passenger suffered minor injuries and the left rear passenger suffered fatal injuries and was pronounced deceased at the scene. The driver of the Toyota was able to walk away with minor injuries. This collision is still under investigation. If anyone witnessed it or the events leading up to it, please contact Contra Costa CHP in Martinez, (925) 646-4980. The county Coroner’s Office released the identity of the deceased as 21-year-old Rodrigo J. Diaz-Reyes from San Pablo.

Three vehicle fatal collision on I-80 near Hercules

Sunday morning, Oct. 3, 2021 at 1:25am, Contra Costa CHP was advised of a three-vehicle collision on westbound I-80, west of SR-4. A Honda Accord with one occupant collided with the rear of a Toyota Yaris with two occupants. This initial collision caused both vehicles to spin out of control which ultimately left the Honda disabled and occupied in the lanes. A Lexus RX350 with one occupant approached the disabled Honda and collided with its side in a perpendicular manner.

The driver of the Honda was pronounced deceased at the scene. Both occupants of the Toyota suffered minor injuries. The driver of the Lexus also suffered minor injuries. This collision is still under investigation. If anyone witnessed it or the events leading up to it, please contact Contra Costa CHP in Martinez, (925) 646-4980. The county Coroner’s Office has not yet released the identity of the deceased, pending notification of family.

Please check back later for any updates.

Allen Payton contributed to this report.

Filed Under: Central County, CHP, News, West County

Car vs. pedestrian fatality on I-680 in Martinez Sunday night

September 28, 2021 By Publisher Leave a Comment

By CHP Contra Costa

Sunday night, Sept. 26, 2021, at about 7:51 p.m., Contra Costa CHP was advised of a solo vehicle crash vs. a pedestrian on I-680 southbound, north of Marina Vista. For unknown reasons at this time, a pedestrian was within the roadway of I-680 southbound while a vehicle (a white Toyota sedan) approached. The driver of the Toyota was unable to avoid the pedestrian and struck them. The pedestrian was pronounced deceased at the scene. The pedestrian has not yet been identified but the Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Coroner’s Office will be handling the release of identity of the deceased pedestrian.

The driver and other people in the Toyota were not injured, remained on scene, and were cooperative in the investigation.

This collision is still under investigation. If anyone witnessed it or the events leading up to it, please contact Contra Costa CHP in Martinez, (925) 646-4980.

 

Filed Under: Central County, CHP, News

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • …
  • 23
  • Next Page »
RepublicServices-Antioch-ad (1)
Monica's dinner 05-26 CCH
Delta-RC-A (2)
Deer-Valley-Chiro-06-22

Copyright © 2026 · · Contra Costa Herald · All Rights Reserved