Toll system installation and testing on the I-680 Express Lanes is in full swing. Testing of the electronic toll signs is scheduled to begin Wednesday, November 23 and will last through the opening of the Express Lanes, scheduled for spring 2017. Through spring 2017, motorists can expect to see dots on the electronic signs throughout the corridor as they are electrified and testing occurs.
During the next testing phase, scheduled for both day and nights the week of December 5, 2016, motorists may observe messages displayed on the electronic signs reading “TEST”, followed by a number (e.g. “TEST 1”); “TESTING” followed by a number (e.g. “TESTING 1”); “$0.00” and “TESTING IN PROGRESS”.
In addition, nightly closures will occur in the northbound and southbound directions on I-680 from Walnut Creek to Dublin in the lanes closest to the median. Approved construction work hours are: Monday through Thursday from 8 p.m. – 5 a.m., Friday from 8 p.m. – 7 a.m., Saturday from 7 p.m. to 10 a.m. During the nightly closures, system generated tolls, e.g. $1.00, and “TESTING IN PROGRESS” will be displayed on the electronic signs. (See photo above.) This type of message will only be visible at night, during lane closures.
This will be the first of three toll system tests through March.
Other I-680 Ongoing Construction Updates:
- When traveling near construction activity
- Always use caution
- Be prepared to reduce speeds
- Follow posted signs
- Intermittent and alternating nightly closures will occur in the northbound and southbound directions in the lanes closest to the median, in the lane closest to the shoulder from Martinez to Dublin. Approved construction work hours are: Monday through Thursday from 8 p.m. – 5 a.m., Friday from 8 p.m. – 7 a.m., Saturday from 7 p.m. to 10 a.m.
- Construction crews will be present on some city streets during the day near I-680 from Martinez to Dublin with temporary and minor pedestrian detours to maintain public safety.
- Temporary k-rail, construction signage and orange plastic fencing will be present from Martinez to Dublin to maintain a safe work zone.
- Construction lighting will be present and directed away from residential areas.
Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice. Please use caution while traveling through the construction zone.
For more information on the I-680 corridor Express Lanes, visit www.mtc.ca.gov/express-lanes, email email@example.com or call 415-778-6757
Leave a Reply