The Lafayette Police Department announces that two additional suspects have been arrested in connection with home invasion robberies that occurred in Lafayette, Oakland and Benicia. (See related articles here, here and here).
In all, four suspects were booked into the Martinez Detention Facility (MDF):
-22-year-old Joseph Wells of Fairfield. He was booked on charges that include burglary, kidnapping, kidnapping for ransom, false imprisonment, robbery, vehicle theft and conspiracy. He is being held in lieu of $1.5 million bail.
-20-year-old Adama Diop of Fairfield. He was booked on charges that include burglary, kidnapping, kidnapping for ransom, false imprisonment, robbery, vehicle theft and conspiracy. He is being held in lieu of $1.5 million bail.
-24-year-old Immanuel Wells of Vallejo. He was booked on possessing stolen property and conspiracy charges. He is being held in lieu of $40,000 bail.
-21-year-old Mayaebone Tanyao of Fairfield. She was booked on child endangerment, possession of stolen property and conspiracy charges. She is being held in lieu of $140,000 bail.
The four suspects are currently in custody at MDF. The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with any information on the Lafayette cases is asked to contact the Lafayette Police Department at (925) 283-3680 or (925) 299-3234. For any tips, email: 94549TIP@gmail.com or call (866) 846-3592 to leave an anonymous voice message.Read More
By Jimmy Lee, Director of Public Affairs, Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff
Sheriff-Coroner David O. Livingston announced that a Coroner’s Jury reached a finding in the June 2, 2019 death of 23-year-old Miles Anthony Hall of Walnut Creek, following a shootout with police. The finding of the jury is that the death is at the hands of another person, other than by accident. (See related article)
The Coroner’s Jury yesterday reached the 11-0 verdict after hearing the testimony of witnesses called by the hearing officer, Matthew Guichard.
A Coroner’s Inquest, which Sheriff-Coroner Livingston convenes in fatal incidents involving police officers, is a public hearing, during which a jury rules on the manner of a person’s death. Jury members can choose from the following four options when making their finding: Accident, Suicide, Natural Causes, or At the hands of another person, other than by accident.Read More
Earlier this week the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office filed criminal charges against former Contra Costa County Fire Protection District (Con Fire) Battalion Chief Louis Manzo Jr. of Danville. Con Fire worked closely with our Office on the investigation and the filing of 12 felonies against Manzo. Con Fire reported the initial allegations to our Office earlier this year.
“Public employees must always be held to a higher standard as stewards of taxpayer dollars. Further, employees in positions of trust and management must conduct themselves in an honorable manner. Manzo took advantage of his knowledge of Con Fire’s internal system to fraudulently mispresent his hours and time off requests, in two separate fraud schemes,” said Deputy District Attorney Dodie Katague. DDA Katague is with our Office’s Consumer Protection Unit within the Special Operations Division.
During the course of one scheme, Manzo would take vacation days but then later change his timecard record to claim special pay for an extra assignment outside of his normal course of duties. When Manzo took a vacation day, Con Fire needed to cover that shift for public safety purposes. Manzo would also list events for his special assignment that he did not attend or did not happen on the days he said they did. He then would go back and not claim vacation time to ensure his bank of vacation hours remained unaffected in relation to his pension.
The second scheme Manzo employed was to claim overtime pay for out-of-office work events he said he attended. A review was conducted of his GPS logs on his assigned work vehicle. The investigation determined that Manzo did not attend these events or was never near the event location.
In total, the loss to Con Fire is $46,000 in direct salary payments and $19,000 in costs incurred to cover shifts while Manzo was out of the office or claiming to be on special assignment.
Manzo faces up to nine years in state prison. Defendant is also subject to Government Code 7522.72 regarding the forfeiture of his pension and his pension will have to be recalculated without the fraudulent vacation days.
Case information: People v. Louis Manzo Jr., Docket Number 01-192362-2Read More
By Scott Alonzo, Public Information Officer, Contra Costa County District Attorney
Operation Omega Red, put together by Concord Police Department, the FBI Safe Streets Task Force and all of our partner agencies, resulted in the arrest and successful prosecution of 15 gang members and their associates.
Since the arrests took place in August of 2016, the cases against the Norteño gang members and their associates have resulted in 15 individuals being convicted of felony offenses, most of those being serious or violent strike felonies. The most dangerous individuals, such as Thomas “Lil T” Leon and Armando “Mando” Amaro, received 35-year sentences in prison each. Other violent offenders such as Jesse “Manos” Loyola were sentenced to 25 years in prison. In all, over 165 years of custody time resulted from the Omega Red prosecutions.
“We focused our efforts on the violence drivers – the individuals who were committing the most serious acts of violence and putting the community in the greatest danger,” said Contra Costa County District Attorney Diana Becton. These violence drivers include Thomas “Lil T” Leon, Armando “Mando” Amaro and Jesse “Manos” Loyola.
Today, the last two defendants in the Omega Red case, Jesse “Manos” Loyola and Armando “Mando” Amaro pleaded no contest to attempted murder with firearm use and committing the crimes for the benefit of the Norteño gang.
Between July of 2015 and June of 2016, there were 11 shootings between Norteños and Sureños in the Central and Eastern parts of Contra Costa County. Seven of these shootings resulted in homicides. Four of those murders occurred on Highway 4, two occurred in Concord and one took place in Bay Point. Concord Police and other law enforcement agencies believed these shootings were related to an ongoing gang war between Norteños and Sureños in the Central and Eastern parts of Contra Costa County.
In mid-May of 2016, the Concord Police Department, in conjunction with the FBI Safe Streets Task Force, the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office and their Law Enforcement partners began a strategic investigation targeting the most violent Norteño gang members suspected of participating in the shootings. The investigation lasted just under three months. It resulted in the arrest of over twenty individuals; eighteen of these individuals were later prosecuted for crimes ranging from conspiracy to commit murder, attempted murder, drug sales, witness retaliation and firearms crimes.
From the date of the initial arrests in this case in August of 2016, there has been one murder on Highway 4, which was not gang related, and there has only been one gang related murder in the City of Concord.
“This drastic reduction from seven gang driven homicides in under one year to only one in the last three years is a testament to the effectiveness of this kind of targeted law enforcement action and the power of police partnerships across the county,” asserted Concord Police Chief Guy Swanger.Read More
On Tuesday, December 3, 2019, at about 10:43 AM, Muir Station Deputy Sheriffs assisted Martinez Police Department regarding an investigation of a missing person.
The investigation led them to the 2400 block of Monterey Avenue in unincorporated Martinez. Deputy Sheriffs and Martinez Police Officers entered a residence and found a deceased female. While clearing the residence, the Deputies and Officers located a deceased man in a room.
The two are identified as:
-Daywa Arakozie, a 34-year-old woman from Oakley.
-Montai Glaspie, a 31-year-old man from Bay Point.
Detectives say the two were in a relationship and that this appears to be a murder-suicide. The investigation is ongoing.
Anyone with any information on this case is asked to contact the Office of the Sheriff at (925) 646-2441 or Investigation Division at (925) 313-2600. For any tips, email: email@example.com or call (866) 846-3592 to leave an anonymous voice message.
The Lafayette Police Department announces the arrests of suspects in two home invasion robberies that occurred in the city on October 31, 2019 (See related article) and November 26, 2019 (see related article).
This morning, the Fairfield Police Department SWAT team and Lafayette Police Department served Ramey arrest warrants and search warrants at a residence on the 500 block of Pacific Avenue in Fairfield in connection with the cases. Multiple people were detained. Two have been arrested at this time:
-22-year-old Joseph Wells of Fairfield
-20-year-old Adama Diop of Fairfield
Since the home invasion robbery on October 31, Lafayette Police Investigators, assisted by the Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff Investigation Division, have worked continuously on this case. Separately, the Oakland Police Department was already investigating a home invasion robbery that happened on October 29. A similar incident happened in Benicia on November 10. A second home invasion robbery occurred in Lafayette on November 26. The agencies began coordinating their efforts once investigative leads were developed and similarities between the four cases were established.
During the serving of the search warrant at the residence today, Lafayette Po-lice Investigators seized guns and numerous items and property believed to be stolen during the home invasion robberies.
“The arrest of these home invasion robbery suspects is the result of good police work,” said Contra Costa Sheriff David Livingston. “It was a combination of following up on leads, a critical tip from a citizen who reported something suspicious, and teamwork among the law enforcement agencies involved.”
Interviews with the suspects are currently taking place.
Wells and Diop will be booked into the Martinez Detention Facility on charges that include: residential burglary, kidnapping, false imprisonment, assault with a deadly weapon, robbery, stolen vehicle and conspiracy.
The Lafayette Police Department would like to thank the following agencies for their assistance: Contra Costa Sheriff’s Office, Oakland Police Department, Fairfield Police Department, and Benicia Police Department.
Anyone with any information on the Lafayette cases is asked to contact the Lafayette Police Department at (925) 283-3680 or (925) 299-3234. For any tips, email: 94549TIP@gmail.com or call (866) 846-3592 to leave an anonymous voice message.Read More
Unhappy with son’s haircut
By Lieutenant Powell Meads #3917, Antioch Police Field Services
On December 4, 2019 at approximately 3:45 PM, the Antioch Police Department began receiving calls reporting a vehicle collision at Delta Barber Shop at 1631 A Street. It was reported that a vehicle had struck a pedestrian and continued through the glass storefront. APD Officers arrived on scene and located the victim, 63-year-old Antioch resident Brian Martin, the owner. Martin was suffering from major injuries and was transported to a local area hospital for treatment.
After interviewing the victim and several witnesses on scene, officers were able to determine this was an intentional act. Based on the victim and witness accounts, this incident started as an argument over a haircut the victim provided to the responsible’s child.
According to a GoFundMe account set up by Heidi Martin, to help with his medical bills, “the woman became agitated and began using vulgarity. Brian asked her to leave. She violently kicked at the glass door several times before exiting the shop and continuing her rant. A few minutes later, Brian went outside to snap a picture of her license plate due to her behavior.”
As the argument continued, the responsible got into her vehicle and intentionally drove at the victim, hitting him and pushing him through the glass storefront. The responsible fled the scene with her son, in their vehicle, and have not been located.
The responsible in this case was positively identified as 28-year-old Ruby Delgadillo of Brentwood. The vehicle used in the assault was a 2006 Toyota Prius, blue, with California license plate 8LHB387.
Anyone with information on this case or on the whereabouts of Delgadillo is asked to call the Antioch Police Department non-emergency line at (925)778-2441. You may also text-a-tip to 274637 (CRIMES) using the key word ANTIOCH.
On his Facebook page, Brian posted the following message Wednesday night, “From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU all for your kind words, prayers and well wishes.” Then earlier, today he posted, “Out of surgery and all went well.” Finally, Thursday evening, Heidi posted, “Please please let Brian rest. He feels obligated to respond out of politeness but he needs to rest and sleep. He is out of surgery and out of recovery and in really good spirits. But he’s only had 15 minutes of sleep and they really want him to rest. Thank you.”
Allen Payton contributed to this report.Read More
Incumbent Supervisor Federal Glover, representing District 5 on the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors, officially filed for re-election on Monday with the County Registrar of Voters Office.
“I’m so proud of our accomplishments and excited to be applying for a final term to complete the good work we started,” said Glover.
He has been one of the county’s top transportation advocates, identifying funding to improve Highway 4, I-680, and bring BART to Pittsburg and Antioch.
“We’re in the beginning of negotiations on establishing possible ferry service to San Francisco from Hercules, Martinez, Bay Point and Antioch, and I want to see that through completion for the residents I represent,” Glover added.
Other accomplishments that make Glover proud: Bringing the County into a AAA financial rating due to sound budgeting decisions, establishing three Family Justice Centers to support victims of domestic violence, increasing prosecution of human traffickers who kidnap and victimize young women, strengthening the Industrial Safety Ordinance to reduce refinery accidents, and leading the fight to protect open space, our hillsides and maintaining the County’s Urban Limit Line to control growth.
Glover says that making PG&E accountable for upgrading its service, and working with cities to create alternative forms of energy to decrease the company’s issuance of power outages is another issue he is working on that requires more work.
“Supervisor Federal Glover was there for our firefighters and our residents during the massive fires we experienced the last couple of years. We wholeheartedly support Supervisor Glover’s re-election and look forward to working closely with him for another term,” said Firefighter Vince Wells, President of Contra Costa Firefighters Local 1230.
Glover is also endorsed by the Contra Costa Deputy Sheriff’s Association, the Contra Costa Building and Construction Council, the Contra Costa District Attorney’s Association, police associations, Congressional, Senate, Assembly and local city elected officials (see partial list of endorsements, below).
“We have a great campaign team and I will raise whatever donations necessary to run a top-notch campaign to the voters of District 5,” Glover added. “This will be my last term on the Board of Supervisors, and I’m excited to complete the projects important to my District.”
Glover’s district includes Martinez, Hercules, Pinole, Alhambra Valley, Briones, Antioch, Port Costa, Clyde, Bay Point, Pittsburg, Crockett, Mt. View, Pacheco, Reliez Valley, Rodeo, Tormey & Vine Hill.
Supervisor Federal Glover Endorsements (partial list)
Congressman Mike Thompson
Congressman Jerry McNerney
State Treasurer Fiona Ma
State Senator Bill Dodd
State Senator Steve Glazer
Assemblymember Tim Grayson
Assemblymember Jim Frazier
County Auditor Bob Campbell
County Tax Collector Rusty Watts
East Bay Regional Parks Director Colin Coffey
Antioch Mayor Sean Wright
Antioch Mayor Pro Tem Joy Motts
Antioch Councilwoman Lori Ogorchock
Antioch Councilwoman Monica Wilson
Antioch Councilmember Lamar Thorpe
Hercules Vice Mayor Roland Esquivias
Hercules Councilwoman Chris Kelley
Hercules Former Mayor Myrna De Vera
Hercules Former Mayor Sherri McCoy
Martinez Mayor Rob Schroder
Martinez Councilwoman Lara Delaney
Martinez Councilmember Mark Ross
Pinole Mayor Pete Murray
Pinole Vice Mayor Roy Swearingen
Pinole Councilmember Vincent Salimi
Pinole Councilmember Anthony Tave
Pittsburg Mayor Juan Benales
Pittsburg Councilwoman Merl Craft
Pittsburg Councilmember Holland White
Pittsburg Councilwoman Shanell Scales-Preston
Contra Costa County Deputy Sheriffs Association
Contra Costa Professional Firefighters Local 1230
Contra Costa Deputy District Attorneys Association
Pittsburg Police Officers Association
Contra Costa Building & Constructions
In honor of Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, we invite you to attend the annual “Eye of Diablo” beacon lighting ceremony to pay tribute to and honor our veterans, Saturday, Dec. 7 from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. Cost is free and the event will be held at Cal State East Bay – Concord Campus, 4700 Ygnacio Valley Road in Concord,
Every year since 1964, the Pearl Harbor survivors and their families have memorialized Pearl Harbor Day by relighting the historic Beacon atop Mount Diablo’s summit. When those who experienced Pearl Harbor are gone, the history is lost with them. That tragedy should never happen again, “Lest We Forget.”
“When that beacon light is turned on, that’s a tribute to those individuals that lost their lives at Pearl Harbor,” said Earl “Chuck” Kohler, Pearl Harbor Survivor
The Pearl Harbor Survivors and Save Mount Diablo are grateful for the assistance and support from Mount Diablo State Park, CCTV, California State University East Bay Concord Campus, Vietnam Helicopters Museum and the Sons & Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors.Read More